Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Commencement of Summer

It appears that Spring has said her farewells, and the heat of summer has arrived even if June hasn't.  I watered all the potted plants early this morning, and it was already hot. 

I love growing herbs, but I can't say that I really know what I'm doing.  I'm a trial and error gardener.  The thyme was tall and woody so I did a radical pruning.  The pretty blooms on the chive plant were past their prime so I whacked them off.  Tending herbs - whether you know what you're doing or not - is always pleasant because it is accompanied by wonderful smells.

The news is full of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.  And I can't help but think of Johnny Fever - my favorite character on the old show, WKRP Cincinnatti.  Johnny once said that when people are out to get you, "paranoid" is just good thinking.  The present administration thinks a good crisis should never go to waste, and British Petroleum is in the business of selling oil.  Do either one of them really care if the oil leak is stopped?  An oil disaster on the shoreline will help the administration sell their "green" program; and so far, BP has been able to funnel a significant amount of leaking oil into tankers to sell.  Forgive me if I'm feeling a little bit like Johnny Fever.  I think our govenor, Bobby Jindal, is probably feeling like Johnny, too - well, maybe not - he may be too young to remember Johnny.

Rain has been light and infrequent since March.  The horses spend most of their days in the triangle pasture or in their stalls while we try to nurse the barn pasture back to health after an unusually cold winter and a dry spring.  We're making use of our sprinklers, and the big water bill this month was not a surprise.  Some of my pen pals live in places where water usage is restricted which makes me appreciate our ability to water the pasture. 

No comments: