Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gustav



I have a tendency to brood - my Scottish blood, no doubt. And I have been brooding about Hurricane Gustav. It doesn't help that the news media feel a necessity to hype things up. I know why. There are a fair number of people who simply do not know how to take care of themselves - or are too lazy to take care of themselves. This was a factor in making Katrina the worst disaster the country ever saw. I wonder if it was really the worst disaster, but that's what they say. Since Katrina, the news people must direct all their announcements to this category of people in a desperate attempt to make them take the approaching storm seriously. In the process, they drive those of us who are responsible into a panic - especially if you're responsible and broody, too.

I've filled my van with gas, got prescriptions refilled, and ascertained that we have a good supply of candles and matches. Jerry has checked all the flashlights, battery operated radios, etc. and is presently out buying extra batteries. He has given the generators a test run and filled gas containers and his truck. He has picked up or secured things in the yard that could turn into flying missiles.

This morning I did the typical storm shopping. I bought jugs of drinking water and plenty of canned goods which would stave off hunger for several days without cooking. We've always been able to cook on our gas range even in a storm, but I'm thinking extreme scenarios. If the house was destroyed but we weren't, maybe we could huddle in the debris and eat beans out of a can.

I saw one of my former piano students at the store. She is now grown with a family of her own. I asked if she's getting ready for the storm. She laughed and said, "I'm doing the things that can be done, but I'm not worried about it. If it comes, it comes and if it doesn't, it doesn't. There's not a thing I can do about it." Bless her heart. She cheered me up. That's what I love about Cajuns. They don't brood!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Yes, so many things over which we have no control. We must just pray, do what we can, and keep moving on. Love you!