Monday, June 14, 2010

Rocky's Journal

"Rocky's Journal" is dedicated to all animal lovers who like to indulge in attributing human traits to our furry and feathered friends.  Although it's fanciful, it's not fiction.  The events are real - just from Rocky's point of view.  My apologies to readers who think this sort of thing is silly.

I don't wish anything bad on Tesoro, the boss hoss around here, but I can't say I'm sorry to be able to enjoy some pasture time without him.  Yesterday when Jerry opened his stall door to let him out, the old boy could hardly walk.  That right front leg has given him trouble before.  So they kept him in and gave him some kind of medicine.  He's better today, but they're still keeping him in.  I hear the vet is coming tomorrow.

You know, I could be boss if I wanted to be.  I'm younger and stronger than Tesoro.  But, to tell you the truth, I don't want the job.  Too much stress.  I'm the sensitive, poetic type.  OK, I know there were a couple of bucking incidents.  The people around here remind me of them too often as far as I'm concerned.  I was real young then, and I wish they would just forget it.

It's usually the same-old-same-old around here so yesterday was kind of interesting.  That fellow from One Bridle Ranch came over and the next thing Fay and I knew, they had Tesoro standing over the drain in the barn aisle, running cold water from the hose pipe up and down his sore leg.  Fay and I went over to see what was going on.  Judy always thinks the best of us.  She thought we were concerned about old Tesoro.  I guess we were a little bit, but mostly we were trying to figure out how long the boss would be out of commission - in other words - how long we can have some peace in the pasture.  It's nice to not be run off of your favorite little patch of grass because Tesoro's decides he wants to graze there.

No comments: